Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Nobody Moves, Nobody Gets Hurt

I've decided to write a novel. I won't get into the details as I'm really just working those out right now. I've tried this before but didn't have the drive to finish. I've actually had better progress with this than any other attempt, though, and it just feels... good. So keep an eye on the shelves at your local bookstore, you just might see something by Zechariah Unterberg. Oh, that's my pen name. No, not really. I just don't feel my name sounds... authorial enough to be on the cover of a book. Time will tell, I suppose.

Whats that? A movie review? Oh, if you insist.

Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)
If this film had starred anyone but Johnny Depp as Sweeny Todd, and been made by anyone other than Tim Burton, I probably would have hated it. Don't get me wrong, it was a good movie. It was funny and interesting, and I was never once bored while watching it. There wasn't a performance I didn't enjoy, serious props to the casting directors. I even liked Helena Bonham Carter for once, in her roll as Mrs. Lovett. And Sacha Baron Cohen, where did you come from? Even though it wasn't very serious, that guy needs to play more serious rolls.
It was visually stunning, as is to be expected with Mr. Burton's work. But the songs weren't catchy. At all. I can't imagine anyone singing along to them ever. And I do realize that, in a gothic horror, blood is to be expected (especially in a gothic horror about an insane barber). I just feel there may have been a more subtle way to depict a throat being slashed. We don't need to see it, every single time, to know that its been done. Okay, the blood is a contrast with the dark environment, we get it.
(My Rating - 2.5 out of 5)

Also, I watched Cloverfield a while back. I'm not even going to bother with a critique. As far as I'm concerned it was a protest film, against the war in Iraq. The basic message was, if the US continues to send men overseas, there will be no one around to protect the American people from giant 3-legged monsters with pulsating brains.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To be fair, each throat cut was shown from different angles and in slightly different ways and only the first was (as I remember it) the most gruesome of all of them.

And my friend LOVES the music, though I agree more with you. Anyhoo...