Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Tastes Like Happy

I bought 2 new Albums this week. Please, read my opinions.

Rasputina - Oh Perilous World
Awesome. Awesome, awesome, and awesome. I've always loved the inclusion of classical instruments in modern music, and Rasputina has never disappointed me. Melora Creager is the Queen of Cello-Rock, and she maintains her throne on this album. At first I thought Rasputina had decided to add a guitar player to their line-up, but it was just some insane cello work by Melora. Jonathon TeBeest's drums are super heavy on some tracks, so this album has a seriously wikkid sound. My favourite tracks? "1816, The Year Without a Summer", and "Choose Me For a Champion", which sounds almost like it could be a White Stripes tune. Oh heck, I really liked "Draconian Crackdown" too. My only complaint? Too much Spoken Word. Like all good bands, Rasputina has matured, so those who fell in love with their darker (read: goth) sound of olde may not like this album. Anyone who likes good music will love it.
My rating - (4.5 out of 5)

Bullet For My Valentine - Scream Aim Fire
Not a bad album. I don't know much about these guys, so I can't ramble about them as much as I did Rasputina, but this is a pretty solid effort in my opinion. Good guitar work, some pretty decent vocals, fast and heavy drums. I particularly enjoyed the title track. The only problem I have with this album is the same problem I have with most heavy metal; it all sounds the same.
(My Rating - 3 out of 5)

I haven't actually done anything worth talking about since last post, sorry. But I promise, I'm working on something quite cool. For now, enjoy Rasputina's "1816, The Year Without a Summer". This is only about a half of the song, with a video made by Dame Darcy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think if you were to listen a little more to Tool, you might change your opinion of Metal, at least slightly. However, I realize in saying this that Tool is different even in its own little niche. My recommendations? Schism is my all time favorite, and Stinkfist has a really fun sound. Their last album (10,000 days) bears striking similarities to Lateralus (my fave) but not in a bad way...you can just see how the evolution is working. Anyway...that's a really long comment...lol.