Sunday, March 9, 2008

Tagged

I have a new tattoo. On something of a whim I decided to get "Est. 1986" on the underside of my left forearm. I know it's a pretty serious whim, considering I now have ink that's visible in a t-shirt, but I'm totally happy with it. And it never won't be true. Unless I was actually born in 1985, which would really suck. Anyways, this now brings my collection of tattoos to 4 pieces. I have the word "Sinner" on my left bicep (from my more rebellious days, though I don't regret it); a pair of dice, each showing one pip, and the words "Snake Eyes" underneath in my own cursive; and a Sailor Jerry style swallow on my right shoulder (unfortunately I let this one get infected and lost a lot of ink, so I need it redone). Alas and Alack, I cannot find my digital camera, so I cannot share pictures at this time.

You may have noticed that my list of Drunks, Lovers, Sinners, and Saints has somewhat expanded. Go visit all of those links. They deserve it. I'll be talking more about some of those people I linked to in future posts as well. Also, "Drunks, Lovers, Sinners, and Saints" is the name of a song by Alexisonfire (probably my 2nd fave Canadian band), and they deserve props.

One of the new links is to Ctrl + Alt + Del by Tim Buckley. If you game, even a little, this comic will appeal to you. If you don't game, the zany humour will probably make you laugh anyways. Oooh, zany.

I also linked to Wondermark by David Malki !. Somewhat similar to Married to the Sea, to which I've linked previously, in that it uses pictures from old publications, but in strip form. I recently pre-ordered David's new book Beards of our Forefathers. It's a collection of Wondermark strips. The title is really what drew me in. There's another collection called The Annotated Wondermark, which I also plan on buying someday.

Julia Wertz, author of The Fart Party is currently out of work, so feel free to go buy some of her stuff. I just ordered the official Fart Party book. Should be a good read.

I'd like to finish this post with a movie review. So I will.

Atonement (2007)
No big surprise that this was nominated for best picture at the Oscars. No Country for Old Men must be damned good to have beat it. I seriously loved this movie. Acting was great, story was great, soundtrack was great. It was visually quite beautiful. There was only one scene I didn't like, which turned out to be like a dream-sequence anyways. Probably the best scene in the movie was the 5-minute-long shot of the Evacuation of Dunkirk. That one took some organization. Seriously, this is just a really well made movie, I don't even want to describe it anymore for fear of spoiling it. Don't go see this movie expecting a happy ending, but please go see it.
(My rating - 4.5 out of 5)

No comments: